Brandon B. Fontaine
Attorney Brandon Fontaine is a partner in the firm's Litigation Department, where he leads the appellate and family law practice areas. He focuses on divorce, custody, and other family law matters, along with civil litigation, in the trial and appellate courts. He is admitted to practice in Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Brandon's appellate practice has involved numerous appeals before the Connecticut Appellate and Supreme Courts, focused on all areas of family law and civil litigation. His experience is well-suited to complex appellate issues, resulting in successful outcomes on a majority of his client's appellate cases. Alist of representative casesis provided here.
Brandon also represents clients on all aspects of divorce, custody, and other family law matters, such as property division, child support, alimony, visitation, relocation, restraining orders, prenuptial agreements, paternity, contempt of court orders, post-judgment issues and modifications, and high income/asset divorces. Brandon was recognized in 2023 by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys as a "Top 10 Family Law Attorney" in Connecticut, for the third year year in a row. He serves as a Special Master for family matters in the Tolland County Judicial District. In addition to litigation, his family law practice includes mediation and collaborative divorce.
Brandon handles a broad range of civil litigation for businesses and individuals as well, including contract matters, business disputes, consumer protection, personal injury claims, and a variety of other cases. He also defends clients charged in criminal matters and represents victims of criminal offenses.
Attorney Fontaine earned his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from Roger Williams University School of Law, where he was selected as Articles Editor for the RWU Law Review. After law school, he served in the Connecticut Judicial Branch's Office of Legal Research, working with Superior Court judges in the research and writing of judicial decisions.
Brandon's published works have appeared in the Rhode Island Bar Journal and the RWU Law Review, and he was a contributing author to the fourth and fifth editions of Rhode Island Criminal Defense: A Practice Manual. He is a member of the Appellate and Family Law sections of the Connecticut Bar Association and a lifelong resident of Connecticut.
"Attorney Fontaine far exceeded my expectations. He was professional, kind, generous, and compassionate towards my concerns. I would highly recommend him to those seeking legal assistance."
"Brandon had a gentleness and a patience about him that made me feel comfortable enough to share with him all the ugly, scary, humiliating, embarrassing details of what we were going through. He spent an extensive amount of time in the days leading up to our court date making sure I was prepared and knew what to expect. Although he was gentle and patient with me before our court date, in the court room he had another side of him, when it came time to protect his client and make sure I was heard. He was sharp and tough without being disrespectful or condescending to our opposer. I truly felt protected, heard, seen. Best of all, we won the case. He truly is an authentic human being, incredibly smart, detail oriented, and incredibly patient, but also thorough, tough, and incredibly sharp in the courtroom. I can't recommend him enough and will forever remember him and be grateful for what he did for me and my family."
"Attorney Fontaine is a patient, incredibly studied, kind and smart man. He provided invaluable help in my analysis of whether or not a certain Appellate Supreme Court matter was worth the time and expense, and what some of the key factual factors in the case are; what some of the unknown areas are. He is caring, articulate, and has the natural motive to be helpful and practical. Excellent responsiveness and communication. A+"
- Roger Williams University, School of Law (J.D., 2012, Honors: cum laude; selected to Honors Program and as Articles Editor of RWU Law Review, 2010-2012)
- University of New Haven (B.S. 2009, Honors: magna cum laude)
- Connecticut Bar Association - Member
- Hartford County Bar Association - Member
- Tolland County Bar Association - Member
- Connecticut Counsel for Non-Adversarial Divorce - Member
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals - Member
- Connecticut Collaborative Divorce Group - Member
- Appellate Law
- Family Law & Divorce
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Law
- Connecticut (state and federal courts)
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- Rhode Island Criminal Defense Manual, 4th and 5th editions - Contributor
- Rhode Island Bar Journal, "Criminal Consequences of Sending False Information on Social Media" (2012)
- Roger Williams University Law Review, Case Survey of State v. Gonzalez (2011)
- Top 10 Family Law Attorney in CT, National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2021-2023
- Excellence for the Future Award, in Immigration Law, 2011
- Excellence for the Future Award, in Civil Procedure, 2010
- Excellence for the Future Award, in Criminal Litigation, 2010
- Excellence for the Future Award, in Tort Law, 2010